I'm Just Hanging Out Waiting For Jam Session To Start

The Bataan Death March of Awesomeness that is the NBA's (14 month long) Playoffs is right around the corner. So to get you in the mood, I present you, our dear reader(s) with the first four and a half minutes of the greatest thing ever committed to celluloid: 1993's NBA Jam Session.

I probably watched the video 200 times when I was younger. It was a great melding of early 90s NBA and early 90s hip-hop/R&B. I mean where else can you hear Heavy D & The Boyz play over clips of Shawn Kemp dunking? No where in Dick Cheney's America, I can tell you that much.

This clip has everything: Mutombo, Bell Biv Devoe, cheesy editing effects, MJ waxing philosophical about "hangtime", Harold Miner's dunk that won him the '93 Slam Dunk Contest and yes, even someone sitting on the rim at some random New York City basketball court. If only I could find the clip of Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rim Shaker". The NBA, it's FAAAAANNNNN-tastic!

3 Responses to “I'm Just Hanging Out Waiting For Jam Session To Start”

  1. # Blogger J Jones

    Is there anything better about early ninties rap than when the R&B singer would break in? I loved the tone and pitch that those dudes sang in. Ricky Bell is a fantastic singer.

    I would do anything for this type of hook-singing to come back to rap. Akon kinda does it but he puts it through the voice box.  

  2. # Blogger Freshman

    I wish I could make another MLS post today, but unfortunately Bad Idea Tuesday struck last night and I'm still feeling it now. Next time Grant and I try to do six tequila shots in under 90 minutes on a fucking Tuesday, somebody stop me. I don't want to wake up on Jason's couch still wearing my jacket and pantsless again anytime soon. That couch is filthy. Let's do it again next week.  

  3. # Blogger J Jones

    I love the idea of getting ungodly drunk on a Tuesday. I like how I went to have a like a beer with Studzy and Maria and I ended up drinking like 12 or 13.

    Sorry I broke from the new MLS theme but Don Cherry is going to be on American TV and I had to alert everyone.  

Post a Comment

Search



XML


Add to Technorati Favorites
Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]